Learning meditation skills at Renew Neurotherapy
Benefits of meditation
Research shows that meditation is beneficial for a range of mental health concerns and that it can significantly change the structure and function of the brain. Yet, despite this knowledge and increased accessibility to meditation training programs, it remains a significant challenge for many individuals to begin and/or maintain a consistent practice. Beginning meditators frequently discontinue their practice before realizing any significant benefits.
What is Neuromeditation?
Neuromeditation is the application of brain-based principles to meditative practices.
This method of teaching meditation begins with a scientific understanding of what happens in the brain during different meditative states and why each of these practices might be beneficial for specific individuals.
Through advances in neuroscientific research, we now know a great deal about the effects of meditation on the brain. Because of this, we can now state with great confidence that all meditations are not created equal. Different styles of meditation require different ways of paying attention and different intentions; each style involves different activation/deactivation patterns in our neural networks. Based on this knowledge, we can roughly categorize meditation into 4 styles:
- Focus Meditation: Focus strategies can be very helpful for people struggling with cognitive issues such as attention, working memory, or distractibility
- Mindfulness Meditation: an ideal match for those struggling with anxiety and/or chronic stress
- Quiet Mind Meditation : ideal for psychological disorders involving disruptions in a sense of self (disordered identify, illogical perceptions of self) and supports the development of cognitive flexibility
- Open Heart Meditation: ideally suited as an intervention for depression, grief, and relationship issues; supports the goal of increasing wellbeing and the ability to identify and sustain positive emotions.
NeuroMeditation tools provide teachers and clinicians with the ability to match an individual to the meditative style that will more effectively help them achieve their goals.
What is the student’s motivation for meditating? Is it to reduce stress and anxiety, minimize pain, improve sleep, improve focus and attention? What are the student’s strengths? How can we customize teaching to support success?
Customizing Meditation Training
Customizing teaching and training to the most appropriate style greatly increases success and, therefore, symptom management.
Renew Neurotherapy uses several optional tools to help assess and teach meditation skills:
- Neuromeditation Styles Inventory
- Virtual Reality meditations customized to styles
- Style-specific meditation scripts, tools and strategies
- Quantitative Electroencephalograph (QEEG/Brain Map) (By completing a brain map, your clinician is better able to help you determine the brain activation patterns that would be easiest to learn or best for your symptoms.)
- Biofeedback (By measuring brain activity in real time, the client and clinician are able to identify if you are using the optimal brain activity pattern for the chosen meditation style.)
Neuromeditation can be taught with or without biofeedback support.
How do I get started?
- Call us on (613) 809-1770 or contact us to book an intake assessment.
- During the assessment: You will complete the Neuromeditation Styles Inventory and other baseline assessments (as needed), learn about your lifestyle and concerns, and complete a brain map.
- During the assessment review session: Based on the information gathered, the styles of meditation that best match your brain will be reviewed and you and your therapist will consult to select your meditation style.
- Once your style is identified, you will participate in a series of weekly in-clinic practice sessions using meditation scripts and exercises, neurofeedback, or virtual reality meditations to help you develop meditation skills.
- Your therapist will provide homework to help you practice at home during the week.
- Once you have mastered the style, you may choose to complete your sessions and continue to practice at home; or you may wish to learn another style.